Sunday, July 11, 2010
I was visiting my Aunt and Uncle this weekend, and my Aunt showed me this very quick, and extremely tasty shrimp dish. It's a typical dish from the caste which my family is a part of, CKP, aka Chandraseniya Kayastha Prabhu.
Indian Style Sauteed Shrimp
Serves three to four people as a main dish
2lb bag of shrimp, peeled, deveined and tail off
3 large onions, finely chopped
2-3 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 large handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
4 teaspoons of canola oil
3 teaspoons crush garlic
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon tamarind
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cinnamon stick
salt to taste
1. Combine shrimp, garlic, turmeric, cayenne pepper, tamarind and one teaspoon of salt and allow the shrimp to marinade for 15-30 minutes
2. In a large, shallow bottomed non-stick pan, heat the canola oil. Once hot, add cloves and cinnamon stick, and wait for about a minute, until they become fragrant.
3. Next, add the onions, and saute for about 5-7 minutes, or until the onions become transluscent. Stir frequently to stop the onions from browning or burning.
4. At this point, add the shrimp, and stir until they all lose their grey color.
5. Add tomatoes, stir, and allow to simmer for approximately 5 minutes, or until the shrimp start to shrink, and the oil starts to visibly separate from the sauce.
5. Add cilantro, taste and add salt if necessary, and cook for a further minute.
6. Serve hot, and enjoy over rice or with a chapathi.