Beyond Recipes is an easy to use food and recipe blog for people who love food and cooking. There are step by step recipes, restaurant recommendations, and food product recommendations.
Thursday, March 15, 2012
Shortcut Baingan Bharta (Indian Style Mashed Eggplant)
Serves 3 people as a meal accompaniment
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 plum tomato, chopped
1 large handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp grated/ground ginger
3/4 tsp black mustard seeds
1 pinch hing (asafoetida)
1/2 tsp cayenne powder (or more to desired spice level)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
salt to taste
1. Wash eggplant, cut into 2 or 4 pieces. Place in microwave safe container with a few teaspoons of water and a lid. Microwave until cooked, for approximately 12 minutes (more or less time depending on the strength of your microwave). Remove the eggplant from the cooking container, allow to cool, and then peel. Discard the skin. Chop/crush the eggplant flesh and set aside.
2. In a non-stick pan, heat canola oil. Add mustard seeds and wait until they start to sizzle and pop. Then add the pinch of hing, followed by the onions.
3. Saute the onions until soft. Then add the garlic, ginger, and all of the remaining spices. Stir for a minute or two to avoid burning.
4. Add the tomatoes. Allow to cook for a couple of minutes until they start to break down.
5. Add the eggplant and make sure to combine all the ingredients together well.
6. Add the cilantro. Turn off the heat. Stir the cilantro in well, and serve hot.
Posted by Tara at Thursday, March 15, 2012
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
I've tried making slits on the brinjal and microwaving it as an alternative to roasting. It turns out ok, but the microwave heats unevenly so it's not my preferred methods. I'm going to try this! Thanks for sharing this, Tara!
Oh new recipe of eggplant, thanks for this I will try is for sure, I love eggplant anyway.
Made this for my husband last week and it was a huge success!! Thank you Tara for yet another fabulous recipe.
looks great adore Indian recipes with eggplant, my hubby is Indian
Post a Comment